Child Support and Visitation Roadblocks: What Happens When the Other Parent Fails to Cooperate?


For a majority of families, divorce is a relatively peaceful, cooperative process that runs much smoother than the media leads us to believe. Not all divorces are messy or ugly; in fact, many separations lead to healthier, happier homes and more peaceful relationships between spouses and children.

When Things Do Not Go According to Plan

However, there are, of course, circumstances that arise for certain divorcing couples that cause a great deal of strife, particularly when it comes to financial support and visitation or custody issues. When you find yourself in one of these situations, it is only natural to experience a wide range of emotions, from anger and resentment to fear and confusion.

When the other parent goes off the radar, fails to pay child support, or refuses to cooperate with the parenting plan you have negotiated, it is easy to feel helpless and out of control of the situation. This is where the help of a professional comes in, and it is during this time that you benefit from arming yourself with as much information as possible.

If your partner refuses to cooperate or is deliberately making your child support, visitation, or custody arrangements difficult, here are some things you need to know:

It Might Be Time to Initiate Enforcement Actions

Unfortunately, not all spouses meet their obligations to pay spousal maintenance, child support, or adhere to parenting time agreements. It might fall onto your shoulders to enforce court action against the other parent. You can rest assured knowing the state can do a number of things to ensure payments are being made. For example, the state can withhold income, place liens and holds on licenses, assets, and property, and, in extreme cases, can even intercept tax refunds and seize property. In regards to visitation time, the court also has the power to modify existing orders and permissions granted to parents with fewer parenting responsibilities.

An Attorney Well-Versed in Family Law Can Help Protect Your Rights

There is no better advocate in the case of deadbeat parents than a professional, competent attorney who specializes in family law topics. If you are experiencing unfortunate roadblocks with your child's co-parent during your divorce, speaking with a qualified DuPage County divorce attorney can provide you with the guidance and insight you need. Call Roscich & Martel Law Firm, LLC at (630) 793-6337 today for a consultation.